SNEWS International Reports
ispo DuPont BrandNew 2001 award winners announced
BrandNew companies had to have been founded after Jan. 1, 1997, have not exhibited at ispo before, and have not already registered for the Winter 2001 show. The prize was ispo booth space.
|The grand-prize winner of the third-annual ispo DuPont BrandNew award selected based on innovation, marketing and design is the Finnish company REIMA, which makes clothing called Smart Clothing. Its winter jacket, called a Smart Shout, incorporated a mobile telephone system enabling communication among members of a pre-stipulated group.
Since it also uses DuPont materials, REIMA also earned the Special DuPont Award, which will be presented on the opening day, Feb. 4, of Winter ispo 2001. REIMA told SNEWS that the jacket will only be distributed in Europe for 2001.
REIMA beat out 152 other entrants, of which only 79 (from 16 countries) made the final cut since the others hadnt submitted all of the required documents and materials.
Reima Smart Shout
The panel of judges said it saw a trend toward the melding of sport products and modern communication tools and technology, as in the winner REIMA.
Winners in six other categories were also announced. All category winners as well as the 35 finalists will appear at ispo.
-- December 9, 2000
- Hottest Start-Up ALLIAN, a Swedish Snowboard company
- Winter Hardware LEEDOM Helmets, a U.S. company for freestyle skiers and snowboarders
- Sportswear KWARK, a fashion-oriented outdoor clothing company from Poland
- Sports Media Powderhausen.com, a site exclusively for Snowboarders
- Summer Hardware Holistic Bike by Denmark-based BIOMEGA
- Other GEO.DISCOVERY from the United States that makes the first GPS module (Geode) for all Palm OS-based PDAs.